In the spirit of reconciliation the Catholic Parish of St Kevin, Eastwood, acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
25th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Livestreamed Vigil Mass this Sat 23rd September, 5:30pm
Didaskō Adult Faith Formation:
The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney Parish Renewal Team,
together with the University of Notre Dame Australia will deliver a series of 5 online short courses, each consisting of three evening sessions. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED TO ATTEND THE ONLINE COURSE AS A GROUP FOR AN IN-PERSON GATHERING IN THE PARISH HALL OR MEETING ROOM (depending on participants), please contact the parish office or Email: [email protected] COST: FREE
The monthly topics include:
- 2023 Thu Oct 5, 12 & 19, 7:30pm-8:45pm: Introduction to Philosophy
- 2023 Thu Nov 2, 9 & 16, 7:30pm-8:45pm: The Scriptures
- 2024 Mon Mar 4, 11 & 18, 7:30pm-8:45pm: Foundations of Theology
- 2024 Mon Apr 15, 22 & 29, 7:30pm-8:45pm: Introduction to Christology
- 2024 Thu May 9, 16 & 23, 7:30pm-8:45pm: Moral Theology
If you wish to take the course privately the cost (per short course) will be $35 per person (plus booking fees).
We invite married couples on any of the weekend Masses on October 21 & 22 to receive a blessing in thanksgiving for the gift of marriage and family life. ALL WELCOME!.
BREAKFAST FOR THE HOMELESS at St Patrick’s Church Hill:
Every Saturday & Sunday morning, St Patrick’s Church Hill opens its doors to the homeless community, providing them with breakfast that has been labelled as a “King’s breakfast”. To know more of what’s involved, watch the video.
To help St Patrick’s with their mission, we will have a grocery drive – non-perishable items only! Such as:
- long life milk/juice
- Pancake mix
- Cooking oil
- Oyster sauce
- tomato/BBQ sauce
- Tinned beans/corn/tomatoes
Kindly place donated items in the plastic tub in the church foyer. Thank you for your support!
- Friday 29th Sept, is the Feast Day of St Michael the Archangel. Devotion to St Michael will be included in the benediction prayers. We would like to thank the Congregation of St Michael the Archangel (CSMA) for their support, and for providing pastoral care to our parish community. Happy Feast Day to all Michaelite Fathers!
- LITURGICAL ROSTERS WILL BE UPDATED SOON. For any changes in availability, contact the parish office no later than Sept 29.
- Exposition and Benediction every first weekend of the Month at all Masses next weekend.
- On Sun 1st Oct, FOSK (Friends of St Kevin) will be hosting a morning tea outside the Church
after the 9:30am Mass. If you can, please bring a plate to share. Thank you! ALL WELCOME.
- NEXT BAPTISM INFORMATION EVENING WILL BE HELD ONLINE VIA ZOOM on Tues 3rd
Oct at 8pm. Please register your attendance by email: [email protected].
- UPCOMING LITURGICAL READERS TRAINING to be led by the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney Liturgy Office on Sat Oct 7 and 14, 9am-12pm at the Haseler Centre (Parish Hall). To register go to: https://liturgy.sydneycatholic.org/ministry-training-formation/ . For info Ph: 9874 2533 or Email: [email protected]
- On Oct 6, first Friday of the month, we will have Mass and devotion starting at 4pm.
- On Oct 7, first Saturday of the month, we will have Mass and devotion at 9am.
- Volunteer AV Operators needed for Sunday 6pm Mass. Training provided. If interested,
contact the parish office by Email: [email protected]
- St Kevin’s Playgroup meets every Wednesdays from 9:15am to 11:15am in the parish hall during school terms. For more info Email: [email protected] ALL WELCOME!
- OCTOBER IS THE MONTH OF THE HOLY ROSARY: Parishioners are invited to join the St Kevin’s school community to pray the Rosary every Tues at 2.20pm in the church starting Oct 10. This would be wonderful time to learn how to pray the rosary and be guided along. We also have a parish group that prays the Rosary after the weekday morning Masses at 7:30am
- WE INVITE MARRIED COUPLES ON ANY OF THE WEEKEND MASSES ON OCT 21 & 22 to receive a blessing in thanksgiving for the gift of marriage and family life. ALL WELCOME!
- If you wish to pray for Year 12 students preparing for their HSC exams, we have prayer
bookmarks available in the church foyer, or pass this on to someone who needs it more.
- SAVE THE DATE: St Kevin’s Men’s Choir has been invited to participate in the Christmas at the Cathedral celebration at St Mary’s Cathedral forecourt on Tues 19th Dec at 6:30pm!
- Brothers in Christ – Men’s Ministry: For info contact the parish office. New members welcomed.
- Weekly Men’s Prayer Hour & Gospel Reflection: Tuesdays 7pm in the Holy Family Chapel.
- St Kevin’s Men’s Choir: New Members Welcomed. For info contact contact the parish office.
- Be a Catechist or help a Catechist spread the Good News about Jesus to Catholic children in our local public schools. Now recruiting volunteers for 2024! All resources & training provided. For info Ph: 9874 2533 or E: [email protected]. Flyers available in the church foyer.
- Parishioners Free Exercise Class, Tuesdays at 4:15pm in the parish hall. For more info contact: Michael Wilkinson- Personal Trainer through the parish office.
- Children’s Liturgy: Sundays at 9:30am. The Children’s Liturgy is run by parent volunteers during school term. If you wish to help contact the parish office. No experience necessary. Resources & support provided.
- SAVE THE DATE: November 10-12, 2023 – Eastwood Community Camp. Book a campsite or a cabin. When booking, please advise that you are with the ‘Eastwood Community Group’ so that we are situated together. Book via DEL RIO RESORT 4566-4330 or visit: https://delrioresort.com.au/. For more info, contact the parish office. Grab a flyer from the church foyer! Don’t miss this social gathering with your friends and fellow parishioners!
- If you know a parishioner who would like to receive Holy Communion at home because they are sick and/or unable to go to Church, please contact the parish office: Ph 9874 2533.
- Altar Flower Donors/Arrangers Needed: If you are interested to help with the altar flowers or donate flowers for weekend Masses, please contact the parish office 9874 2533.
- If you wish to offer a Mass for the sick, deceased, and other occasions, please collect an envelope in the church foyer. Place them in the weekend collection bags or in the secured parish letterbox inside the church (next to the Reconciliation room). Please include the date when you want the Mass to be said, the name of the person who you wish to pray for and tick the box ’For Publication’ if you wish for the name to be included in the parish bulletin.
- The parish office is open Monday to Friday from 10am-3pm.
NB: At the end of 2022-2023 financial year, Planned Giving Program members can request a tax receipt:
THE ANGELS – Messengers from a loving God:
A Catholic quarterly magazine on the knighthood of St Michael, Holy Angels, and Divine Mercy. It is perhaps the only magazine dedicated to the topic of the Holy Angels and the Divine Mercy from a Catholic perspective. It includes compelling articles on the Holy Angels based on the Bible and early Fathers teachings. There are regular special features on angels in the lives of saints, frequently asked questions, testimonies, angelic prayers, and current events.
Chief Editor: Fr Peter Prusakiewicz CSMA
Available now in the church foyer. For more information visit: http://stmichaelthearchangel.info
Around the Archdiocese:
- Caritas Australia needs your support to respond to the devasting earthquake in Morocco and floods in Libya. Thousands of people have died, and others injured. Communities need shelter, food, water and medical assistance. Please support Caritas Australia’s emergency appeals. Donate at www.caritas.org.au. Thank you!
- Life, Marriage and Family Sunday: All families are invited to the 10:30am Mass at St Mary’s Cathedral on Sun 22nd Oct, with an opportunity for renewal of marital promises and a special blessing for families. Join us after Mass at the Cathedral Hall to witness & celebrate couples celebrating significant wedding anniversaries. Please note: Certificates will be presented to couples who are celebrating 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60+, 70+ anniversaries this year. Registrations are essential to receive a certificate. RSVP no later than 6th October at http://www.trybooking.com/CJTNF
- Donate to Charitable Works Fund: Help keep alive vital ministries of the Church in service to those who need it most. In hospitals, churches, schools, communities and families, your donation is making our world a loving, caring and compassionate place. Give generously. Your tax-deductible gift changes lives. Thank you! Donate at https://www.ourfaithourworks.org/give-to-cwf/
Safeguarding and Child Protection
Guided by the policies of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney (CAS), it is mandatory for selected parish volunteers, age 18+, to have a current WWCC. To check the list of parish roles that requires WWCC visit https://stkevinseastwood.org.au/becoming-volunteer/ . To apply/renew your WWCC go to: https://ocg.nsw.gov.au/working-children-check/applicant . Once your application has been processed, please forward your WWCC number and Expiry Date to the parish office for verification.
Thank you to all the parish volunteers who have completed the Online Safeguarding Induction Training. To maintain our current safe working environment, it is required that all parish volunteers in a child-related role must complete a Safeguarding Induction Training. Training can be completed online, to register click here. To those who have completed the Safeguarding Induction Training in 2019/2020, you are now due for a refresher. To register for a Safeguarding Refresher Training, click here. The archdiocese requires safeguarding refresher training every 3 years.
A MESSAGE FROM THE ARCHDIOCESE OF SYDNEY:
Child sexual abuse is a crime. The appropriate people to deal with crimes are the police. If you or anyone you know have been abused, please contact the police. Alternatively, contact the Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office at (02) 9390 5810 or [email protected]. You may also want to speak to your Parish Priest who will be able to provide support and guidance. The Archdiocese has a legal obligation to report crimes to the police.
SAFEGUARDING COMMITMENT STATEMENT: The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney upholds the the dignity and rights of all children and is committed to ensuring their safety. We recognise each child as a gift from God. and we value and encourage participation of children in all activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual and social development. To access the Commitment Statement from Catholic Church Leaders, click here.
CLICK HERE TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND IDEAS ON SAFEGUARDING PRACTICE.
Welcome to St. Kevin’s Parish, Eastwood
The Catholic Parish of St Kevin’s Eastwood is a welcoming and supportive community situated approximately 17 kilometres from the Sydney CBD, and 8 kilometres from Parramatta. St Kevin’s is the most western parish within the Archdiocese of Sydney and is part of the Ryde Deanery.
Our vision is to make Christ present in our parish, in our local community and in our world.
Our mission is to know Christ and to make him known; to be a community committed to discovering Christ present in every person through our ministry to each other, our service to the wider community, the joyful celebration of the Eucharist and other sacraments, and our active concern for social justice.
The first Church was established here in 1919 and our current Church was completed in 1994. St Kevin’s Primary School and Marist College Eastwood are both integral parts of our parish community and are located on either side of the Church.